McDONALD FUNERAL HOME
401 W CANAL ST.
About Us: Our History
McDonald Funeral Home's reputation for fine service began over 90 years ago when Claiborne McDonald started a funeral service and furniture store on West Canal Street in 1917. Shortly afterward, our founder devoted himself to the funeral profession full-time at a new location at Rester Street and Williams Avenue. Our firm has only changed locations once since its establishment at Rester Street and Williams Avenue. We moved to our present home at 401 West Canal Street in 1963.
Sons Tom and Claiborne McDonald III took over the funeral home upon our
founder's death. Tom stayed with the firm up until retirement in the
mid-1970's, and Claiborne operated the funeral home until his death in
The funeral home was owned by Edith McDonald, wife of Claiborne McDonald
III until her death in 2008. At the time of Edith McDonald's death,
her son Stephen L. McDonald, Sr. took over ownership along with his wife
Ann. Stephen marks the third generation of the McDonald family to
operate the funeral home.